Monday, January 21, 2013

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

I had come across this book several times and each time I dismissed it, but for some unknown reason I finally decided to read it yesterday...

First, I have a confession: I am one of those people who will pick up a book if the cover is interesting and then if it is I will read the synopsis. If the combination works for me I'll read the book. The cover didn't stand out to me as something that I would like, but goodreads.com kept recommending it.

When I first started reading it I instantly liked the main character Sophie Mercer. She's a smart mouthed, loner, who takes rejection and humiliation in stride.  I tend to have a soft side for the under dog. After a love spell for the school reject goes horribly wrong Sophie is sent to Hecate Hall (Hex Hall) a reform school for troubled "Creatures". As an immediate outcast things go from bad to worse for Sophie.  Adjusting to life as a witch at twelve years old is one thing, but after years as a "witch" she learns that she's something else, something more, & something not only worse, but deadly....I'm hooked!

This book is Peachville High meets The Dark Elite with an identity all of it's own. Magic, fairies, witches, demons, shifters, and a creepy school that houses them all. I was pleasantly surprised with this book, the writing, the characters, and the imagery that pulls you into Hex Hall. Perhaps I will give a little more credence to goodreads and their recommendations...LoL. I'm starting book #2 Demonglass in hopes that it's as good as the first!

Happy Reading!
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Hop!